Wednesday, November 29, 2006

 

Overwhelming Sad News

Goodbye Bolita...

If you read my entry on Parque Ambue Ari, (June), you may remember Bolita, the baby Giant Anteater, for whom I built a house, while Norwegian Chris nursed her. I have just heard that Bolita has died. I find it desperately sad that such a wonderful creature that showed so much personality and potential has been lost.

In the intervening months, between leaving the park and this news, both Chris and I had many email exchanges with the Inti Wara Yassi representative in London. We objectively expressed concerns over the issues we had found at the park, but ultimately we wanted to let IWY know that we were concerned that the park did not have the right facilities or skills to offer the best care for Bolita. We sent information, hard copies direct to the park, and in English and Spanish via the representative in London, electronically. It all seems to have been for nought.

My first reaction was to tell people not to support this organisation, but in reality this will only mean the animals suffer. Unfortunately I would not be at all surprised if this organisation stutters and fails at some point, with ultimately the animals being the victims any way. However should you decide to volunteer at either of the IWY parks I hope you have a positive experience and help the animals you work with. If you ever have any suggestions to make don't make the mistake I made of going through the representative in London, not very helpful, and ultimately utterly futile.

Comments:
As one of the many mums for Bolita, last august, I was madly in love with her ofcourse but (as a vet) also saw her going downhill. I enquired advise from experienced zoos- the last news I heard was she did a lot better so this is a shock to me and incredibly sad...
I agree with you the park has so much more potential and so much more to learn, but I think it has good intentions.
It seems to be difficult to bring about any major changes and I think it is up to comitted volunteers, and some well-filled funds... let's hope they will come along some time.
sara
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?